Monday, December 7, 2009

3:02 a.m.

I can't sleep.

It might just be connected to the fact that for the past two days, I've taken naps that exceed two hours, but I'm waiting for results from the lab to officially establish that connection...

I'm also super congested, most likely from the flights and all the strangers with their germs therein. Apparently, in Norway if one is congested such as this, they must see a doctor and get a prescription in order to procure pills to alleviate the pressure. Without one, you can only get this packet of weird clear, one-time use plastic vials. You twist off the top, blow your nose first, then lay back and put half of the liquid into each nostril. Sort of like a nasal spray, but you know, without the spray.
I was skeptical, I admit when I saw the little buggers, but I think they might actually be working.

It's horrifically uncomfortable to feel those couple little drops slowly wriggle into your sinus cavity, and of course just delicious when the medication runs down the back of your throat.

But it might be working.

I'm supplementing that with some American nasal spray I brought with, and hopefully there will be a box of Dayquil congestion in my next care package from the states for future need.

So even though I'm awake (and sniffling) now, I'm determined to get over this jetlag business. I think the weird sleeping hours are just making me feel worse over all...easier said than done though. I've set an alarm for the morning and will just have to turn to coffee for the next couple days to try and force myself into this time zone properly. No more naps.

Tomorrow Harald and I are going to the Haugesund police station so I can get my visa officially registered and put into my passport. Hopefully there I can get set up for my Norwegian language classes that the government provides for us new Norskies. I'm putting a whole lot of faith in that process, that by attending a Norwegian class, I can feel more comfortable about actually conversing with my new family.

We've only been here for three days, but already Harald has settled back in like a fish to water, he's applying for a slew of jobs tomorrow, and very optimistic about it. So far, I'm just trying to be helpful around the house for my in-laws and not let myself get too down about being so far away from my own family.

It's already hard, I won't pretend it isn't. I'm trying to find comfort in what I do have though, not what I'm missing. It's easier said than done, and I feel like no matter where I physically am, I have to always remind myself of things like this.
I have my Husband and our dogs: our little family. They're happy, we're all healthy and we're going to start taking steps to start our lives as a new family. It will be hard and not necessarily fast, but we'll have each other.

Count your blessings, not your burdens.

Maybe I'll get it tattooed on my forehead so I don't have any more excuses to forget.