Friday, December 11, 2009

Slacking already? Damn.

Yes, so much for my WIR prompts I wanted to keep up with, I just realized I haven't actually followed through with that as well as I wanted to...
Anyway, as some of you may very well know, I'm bookwork of the worst kind, but I feel like I didn't really keep in shape during 2009 as far as my reading goes. I'm ashamed to admit that there were months at a time that I didn't get around to picking up a book.
Wow.
Granted, I had a busy 2009 (what with getting married, moving and working app. 50-hour weeks more often than not), but it still isn't an excuse, and I already know what my New Year's resolution will be!
So I started an Excel file at the beginning of the year to keep track of what books I was reading, and though it has been horribly updated in the past few months, and I had to add a handful of books (still feel like I'm missing some...), it only totaled a meager 21 books the start of 2009.
That's counting the book I'm about halfway through.
Am I the only one a little ashamed of this number? I could have easily doubled it if I had tried, but I admittedly slacked hardcore when things got busy...

In non-literary news, it's been pretty wet and cold here the past few days, but still no snow yet. Everyone has been pretty busy this last week, and I feel like I'm standing in the middle of a whirlwind sometimes, with my family running around like crazy with me standing still...my little sister-in-law is in a production of Scrooge, a Weegie musical version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
Last night my mother-in-law and I went to the play last night and helped the little ones get their makeup on, and corral them between their scenes. It was pretty darn cute, and none of the actors were over 15-16 years old...
The weirdest thing was hearing the Christmas carols I grew up with the the U.S. being sung with Norwegian lyrics that I couldn't quite understand, but knew were not an exact translation.

Theater productions aside, both my mother and father-in-laws are working full-time still to make up for holiday time off so I've been trying to cook dinners in the meantime since one of us has to drive then pick-up my little sister-in-law from her play every night too. This has been the week for hardcore practices and all the performances, so hopefully after Monday things will lighten up considerably and we can all relax a little.

Harald and I went and applied for my fødelsnummer like I mentioned in my last entry, and also registered our American marriage certificate at the local tax office, and sent off a few things for my family for Christmas.

Other than that crazyness, I've just been trying to get back into the swing of getting to my online class forum, and getting all my work done. This thesis thing, not that I didn't realize before mind you, is an epic project. whew.

What I'm Reading:
Hoping to finish up
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach.
This is the third and news of Roach's books, and just like the first two, I'm loving it! She is extremely funny and her pieces are very well written and researched, I'm so glad I found a copy of this before I left the states, I'm only missing the hardcover of her first book for my collection now. Highly recommended, darlings...