Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Uff da. (this title is for you, Lisa.)

I think today gets to be lumped in the category of just one of those days.

I guess it started when the day officially started, around midnight. When I couldn't sleep. Harald and I try and get to bed as early as we can on weeknight where we both have work and school respectively. Last night was no exception, we turned off the lights by midnight, and the Hubs settled in and started snoring pretty quick. It was right about then, that I started waking up enough to check the clock to see what time it was...

That lasted until exactly 5:35 a.m. this morning. I know because I checked. Every 10-20 minutes or so, all night.

Uff Da.

So when Harald's alarm went off less than a half hour later, which then signals that my 7:00a.m. wakeup call is soon to follow, naturally, I wasn't exactly eager, nor conscious enough to rise up and follow Jesus (as my Mother would say when my siblings and I would drag ass in the morning). So I didn't. And I missed school today.

I'm a little guilty about that, but if I would have tried to get to school, someone might have called those elusive Weegie police to report a blonde-ish, potentially American zombie stumbling down the road at 8:00a.m.

And that just wasn't gonna happen either, now was it.

So yes, I ditched class today and caught up on the sleep I had been missing all night. Now let's just pray that it's easier for me to fall asleep and stay asleep tonight, because missing one day of school this week is plenty for me...I blame the horrors of the Ozzy Osbourne autobiography that I was plowing through yesterday. Just kidding, it's great and really funny by the way, if you're at all a Sabbath or Ozzy fan, you MUST hear all those great rock n' roll stories of the age told by someone who witnessed them himself...while intoxicated. lol.

Tonight for dinner I managed to concoct a really good vegan Korma(with carrots, red bell peppers, and onions) and rice dish for myself, and homemade chicken noodle soup for the carnivores in the house...a.k.a. everyone but me. My special homemade chicken noodle soup has quickly become a bit of a favorite, so I'm all to happy to make it! A dish that people won't be picking through or just plain not eating is always a self-esteem boost around here! Leave it up to a good old fashioned American comfort food to please these notoriously picky Weegies.

And not to gross anyone out or anything, but a quick burn update (thankfully the last, or so I hope!): they are well and good. The burn on my leg seems to have been much worse than the one on my lower stomach because even though it's healed up on the surface it's still quite sore to pressure (awesome when you own two dogs that are also part mountain goat). But the surface of the burns have completely peeled; all the dead epidermis is sloughed off, and I have pink, shiny, new skin to work with now. I'm keeping myself (or trying to) slathered with organic Aloe Vera I picked up at the store so that the skin doesn't get tight or tear or anything nasty like that. Really though, they are both doing just fine, I moisturize a few times a day, and have been wearing leggings/tights and dresses to school so I don't have to face denim rubbing on my leg just yet since it's still quite tender. Now, I'm just really worried about future scars. Just in case you don't know me/haven't seen me in person for a while, or I haven't clarified before, I am literally and quite possibly the palest, most fair-skinned person in the Northern Hemisphere. I also just seem to scar badly in general, not necessarily with keloids but just scars that stick around for literally years. (Example: if I make the mistake of picking at a zit or something, I can and easily will have a scar for at least eight months or so, usually a year.) Hopefully if I take good care of my burns at this stage, and stay really well hydrated, and all that they won't keloid scar, or be there for the rest of my life.
Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one, PLEASE.

Now some last minute homework, accompanied by a few spoonfuls of natural Jif -my absolute favorite peanut butter sent to me and received the other day by the best Aunt in the world. It came with a stack of books that I picked out for myself and had sent to her house for her to forward to me, and she even tossed in some more hairties and different bobby pins specially for blonde hair. It's the little things, I'm telling you it's the little things that make things like not sleeping all night and missing Weegie class, and spending hours doing homework and laundry and making dinner, all worthwhile.

Let a joy keep you. Reach out your hands and take it when it runs by.”   - Carl Sandburg

p.s. - The books, by the way, for all you fellow bibliophiles were(in no particular order):
The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry
Doomed Queens by Kris Waldherr
The Floating Girl by Sujata Massey
Ship Fever by Andrea Barrett
The First Person by Ali Smith
St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell
How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer
All of these were on my Amazon.com wishlist, and for used copies in great shape were less than a U.S. dollar each, so that's why they were chosen! (you can find my wishlist by using my email address, in case anyone was interested. lol.)