Saturday, May 22, 2010

A day out in Haugesund

Today the Hubs and I celebrated my upcoming birthday by having a "date day" in Haugesund...

We heard some great music (one of my Mom and I's favorite old gospels even!):



And found a neat antique store run by a friendly British gentlemen that chatted us up (obviously not a Weegie by that ability alone) while we managed to find three new books (and one is actually for Harald! It's so exciting when my Husband wants to read!) and a pretty hand-painted plate to hang on the wall...



















Harald got a much needed, impromptu haircut:






















And took me out for my birthday dinner at a neat "American/Texas" style steakhouse with GREAT food, where I also broke my usually strict vegan diet for some of these guys:

















We took in all the sights of our fair little city, and we managed to do so without jackets on too, that's the first time this year! The Hubs also elected to tell me, since I had insisted that I didn't need presents from him this year, that he was going to book me, whenever I wanted, a massage or spa treatment of my choosing for my big gift for turning the big 2 - 5. Birthday gifts involving spas are always the best, aren't they?



































I even ended up finding a great peasant-style black dress and beautiful scarf on the cheap at a store that was going out of business (both for only 100KR each, for all you curious fellow Weegie-expat ladies), then grabbed a lovely cup of organic tea on our way out of town and back towards the 'burbs.

Even though I know not a whole lot will happen on my actual birthday, since it is on Wednesday, thus everyone has work and class, today was a great day for low-key celebrating. Wandering around the downtown, hearing music, popping in and out of antique shops, art galleries and clothing stores is just my kind of style.

I'm also planning on making a batch of cupcakes for my classmates at Weegie school on the day to share an American tradition that was always one of my favorites in school, and I'm blessed enough to have a few presents waiting for me to unwrap that were sent over from family members...

I've actually already opened the present my Mom and Dad sent, WHICH WAS UNBELIEVABLE, but I'll keep you all in suspense as to what that was until the actual day when I have a 25th birthday extravaganza post to share with you all...