Friday, May 28, 2010

Mini update, complete with photos...

First, thank you all for the great birthday wishes, they were lovely!

My Mother-in-law made me a strawberry cream cake as a surprise on my birthday by the way...it's vegan too!







































My in-laws also got my something pretty I had been lusting after; a jewelry tree. Neat huh? I also got a little cash as a present from them, and Harald's grandparents too. I was so surprised, and I think I know just what I'll spend it on...being as I had to promise to buy myself something special. Dangerous words.























Finally, my new favorite drink here in Norway: it's a mineral water from a glacier park in Norway, no carbonation, with "wild raspberry" flavor. SO GOOD.

The half-empty bottle is sitting atop my beloved copy of Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. As some of you fellow book worms might understand, it's sometimes near-impossible to choose a favorite book, but if I had to, it would be this one. So as a birthday gift to myself every year, I have the tradition of reading it again. I usually take the time during the week of my birthday to do so, and I just finished it today. This was my seventh read of this amazing book. If you value yourself as a bibliophile like I do, and haven't read it, don't make the time to comment, just go get your hands on a copy and start it! It's been dubbed one of the most challenging books to read in the English language, right up there with Ulysses by James Joyce, but it is so worth it. It has lots of other stigmas and ideas tacked to it since it was first published that hastily banned in the 1950's, but you should make up your own mind on those issues...

Are you a bookworm that has a favorite book that you could read over and over again? Or a top three even?

Anyway, tomorrow the Hubs and I are heading back into Haugesund for yet another date day! How spoiled am I? I'll try and snap a few photos around town while we're there...the main mission is to procure some of that amazing fig jam from the Middle East. Yum.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone