Thursday, September 9, 2010

Book Meme Day 2

Here it is, day 2 of the 30-day book meme:

Day 02 - A book(s) or series you wish more people were reading and talking about 

 AH! I could answer this question with a veritable novel's worth of responses. However, for the sake of everyone's sanity I'll just try and keep it short(-ish) and sweet. As an admitted bibliophile and reading fanatic, there are SO many books and stories that I adore but feel like no one else on the planet agrees or has heard of, so here are just a few of my more recent choices: (again, not so strong on the series personally)


The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield: This was one of my August books, and though I picked up a paperback copy that looked brand new, on a whim at our local Salvation Army branch, I was NOT disappointed, but rather appropriately blown away. The main character was one that I especially identified with and adored. I really wore her skin while I made my way through this book; she too lives to read and for her books and finds herself an impromptu biographer for an iconic writer with a bizarre and sordid tale to tell. You will NOT be able to foresee the eventual plot conclusion, but you might just gasp out loud like I did a time or two...





































How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer and St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell:  I'm a sucker for killer short story collections, and these two respective pieces, pretty much had me salivating after the first few pages. Orringer and Russell are in rare and flawless form as they share the stories of many diverse and different women and girls. Orringer's collection is rooted in more plausible scenarios and locations, many of which conveying -either subtlety or not so- her own Jewish heritage and upbringing. Russell gives her reader a more fantastical realm of play and cast of characters to cut their teeth on. I can't resist a well executed story of magical realism, and Russell's short stories are among the best I've ever come upon to date. I couldn't recommend these two collections of single author short stories enough.


Should you take me up on any of these three recommendations, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!


Have any of you read any of these already?