Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 7, just don't twist the plot.


Day 07 - Least favorite plot device employed by way too many books you actually enjoyed otherwise


Whew. This one is hard for me. The only thing I can think of as far as plot devices are concerned is that old 'switch-a-roo'. This isn't limited to books but I also despise it in movies as well. Call me boring, but I enjoy a good old fashioned lead up, an escalating conflict, suspense even...but when you build me up, just to swap the floor out from under me at the last second for something totally random, I'm usually pretty disappointed.

Am I totally alone on this one?

When creators try and give their story (whether it be depicted on the page or on film) some excitement and draw by sliding in one last twist towards the end that ends up throwing their audience off their original trail and footing...I totally switch off.

I just feel like it's a cheap trick employed by someone that doesn't know how to end their own tale in a successful manner. Hey, endings aren't easy. But twists just suck.