Monday, January 17, 2011

The Homestretch...


Day 29 - Saddest character death OR best/most satisfying character death (or both!)


So off of the top of my head, I can think of two character deaths that resonated with me from what I've read recently, and another classic choice...

First, in The Girl with Glass Feet, by Ali Shaw...well, I don't want to give too much away because this book is relatively new, and awesome so you should read it yourselves...but suffice it to say, it was very sad.

Then, in the culminating volume of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, (it shouldn't be too shocking, even if you haven't read them), the death of Count Olaf. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Through the first twelve volumes, obviously you're on the side of the Baudelaire children and just want him to drop dead and stop tormenting them.
But then, when it finally does happen, he has a couple scenes of humanity where he just seems like such a sad, tormented dude right before his death, so that when it happens, instead of cheering, you're just kind of like...'oh'.
Was anyone with me on this one?!

And then of course, the classic and ever heart-wrenching death of Beth in Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Makes me cry every time, book or any film version. And that's all I have to say on that one. *tear*