Monday, March 21, 2011

NO.


So I just watched the season/series finale of Big Love that aired last night in the States.

OMFG.

I won't ruin the ending in case any of you other readers not residing in North America haven't gotten a chance yet, but suffice it to say, I was bawling, and was in shock for a good ten minutes after wards. Weird, because I felt like something like that might happen to wrap up such a dramatic series, but still, it wasn't something I wanted and DID NOT go down the way I thought it might.

R.I.P. Big Love. You were, hands-down one of my favorite series of all time.

*

So other than being shell-shocked and grieved over the culmination of a television show, I haven't been up to a whole heck of a lot around here...

Saturday the big family shindig went off with barely a hitch...though I did retreat to our downstairs living room, away from the crowd after the meal was had to read my book while keeping the quarantined puppies company. That had been the plan anyway, until my quiet, adult-room haven turned into puppy playroom 2011, courtesy of four of the Hub's especially raucous cousins, Daisy, and her collection of squeaky toys.

Let me tell you, Mozart's piano concertos, and some quality Neil Gaiman CANNOT over power the sound of an amped Scottish terrier and four squealing/screaming children.

Unfortunately.

But really, the food was great, and aside from me being a little overwhelmed at the sheer amount of folks running through my living space with seemingly no escape, it was a good time.

So said bash happened in honor of my father-in-law's 50th birthday, and the special day isn't until this coming Wednesday, my FIL will be celebrating in style, and slightly warmer weather, in Barcelona.
He and my mother-in-law jetted off for a full week's worth of vacation very early this morning. Those lucky dogs.

And even though it is still NOT our house, it is still pretty nice to play real-live-grown-ups this week, and not have to take turns in the kitchen when cooking, or hush our dogs up because there are people sleeping at night...all that. It's just me, the Hubs and my barely-around brother-in-law. (My little sister-in-law is staying with her grandparents so she gets to school without fail and is fed and all that.)

*

On Wednesday this week, I get to go back to the elementary school I subbed at last month to hang out with the same group of fifth graders that I've already subbed for.

It's only for the first half of the day, but I must say, I'm really excited to be in the classroom! Just further confirming the fact that, despite frustrated, tearful arguments with my Mother an odd 5-6 years ago revolving on how I was sure teaching wasn't for me, but dammit I was gonna finish my English Lit. degree with no immediate career plans, no matter what...I really did end up in the right profession after all, and it was teaching. Master's degree and all later.
(Yes, Mom. You were right. Soak it in.)

Now I just need to get into my own, permanent classroom so I can be this excited and happy to go to work everyday and see my students!

Also fun and exciting on the work-type front is that I'm going to be co-instructing four hours of beginners riding lessons on Thursdays (most every Thursday) for the local saddle club, and I started that last week. Teaching the little girls, and working with them when they're nervous, then seeing how excited they get when they do well, and just being around those big, stinky horses is so great. Though it's not a job that I work for the little pay, it is one that helps me relax, and be around something I've always loved.


...Anyway, time for bed around here, I'm off to change and maybe dip into the new book I'm reading(check out my Shelfari shelf to the right for details)...my first real book in Norwegian! It's a collection of short stories that I picked up at a booksale...it looks like it might just be right up my alley! Now I just hope I can stumble through alright without having to stop and grab my dictionary too often!
(It's called "The Monster riders" btw, for all you non-Weegies.)
I'll be sure to report back after I'm finished with it.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend, and Happy Vernal Equinox too!