Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Some fly new stunnas:


That's right, folks. For the first time in about 5-6 years, I got new glasses!

I've been wanting to wear primarily glasses lately, (as opposed to contact lenses), but my glasses I had were old, and I didn't feel that comfortable driving in them, as I found myself squinting at signs every now and then.
So a couple of weeks ago, the Hubs took me for my very first eye exam here in Norway...

It was actually quite a bit different from a standard eye exam in the States...which I've been having pretty much annually since the age of eight or so. The optometrist didn't use any eye drops at all during the exam, not even to dilate my eyes...I wore waterproof mascara that day too, what a waste! (She laughed when I told her that, mid-exam, btw.) There was also no "air puff" test, or its' modern counterpart of the little device that looks like a digital thermometer that they sweep across the surface of your eye (both of which I am used to)...
It really was just an old school, read-the-letters-on-the-lightbox type exam, as well as the optometrist checking my corneas with the light magnifiers and all that.

Anyway, it was definitely a little less stressful than any other eye exam I had in the past(I could even drive after wards!), and just yesterday evening I got a text message that my glasses order came in. So after dinner, the Hubs and I went to pick them up...

Wanna see?

(This is pretty much the first time I'm using my built-in webcam! Neat, huh?)

Hi, Mom!

What do you all think, like 'em? They're bigger than my old frames, and the color (since it's not 100% clear in the photos) is a very neutral brown/gray-stripey combo.

And since the place we went to had a 2-for-1 deal, and we're always up for a bargain, I got a pair of prescription sunglasses too! Despite the fact that I've had vision correction in the form of glasses and contact lenses for most of my life, I have NEVER had prescription sunglasses, so I'm still really excited and dazzled by sunglasses that I can actually SEE through.
Amazing.

I have the "go big or go home" mentality with sunglasses, and managed to pick the biggest they had to choose from...the lady that helped me even checked if big was what I wanted after I turned down her suggestions for more modest, smaller frames, ha!






Even though I don't know how often I'll get to use them here in Norway!

I love my new glasses!