Tuesday, March 1, 2011

You know, books and stuff.


The title of this post, is pretty much a regular statement out of my mouth when asked by a curious Husband, what it is I'm reacting to when I'm staring at my laptop screen, whether I'm laughing, gasping or concentrating super hard.

In the last week, I just got through all 11 books in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Mysteries series...aka the series that spawned the HBO phenomenon Trueblood.
(Should you also be a fan of this series, and you're wondering where that number comes from: I read all 10 books in the linear story line, then the collection of short stories called A Touch of Dead as well.)
One of my dear friends back in the States was a big fan of the books, and when we still lived there was urging me to read them since I liked the series so much, but for whatever reason, they were just something that I kept on my back burner up until this month...during which I tore through all eleven that have been released, and preordered the next volume, due out in May.

Though they can be (and the first few volumes especially were) a whole lot raunchier than I thought they ever would be, I really enjoyed them and can't wait for the next installment to be released...

Although it took me on average approximately only two hours to read each (if not less), and I'll undoubtedly end up tearing through the next book as soon as it arrives and then just be frustrated at not having more to read, and having to wait again.

Which I guess is why I've never been a big series-reader.

Since 2011 began, I've made my way though a few different series of books, but really, before January, and the occasional two-book set, or trilogy, I never could get into a drawn out series...and definitely not one that I had to sit and wait around for the next volume to be published!

Patience is a virtue that I definitely could work on a bit more, I guess.

So anyway, my sweet Viking Hubby ordered me the 10-book UK issue boxset of the Sookie Stackhouse books, along with a hardcover of the latest, 11th book, so I could be all caught up, and have them gracing my library collection afterwards.
What a doll, huh?

*

Since I'm in a particularly literary mood at the moment (and often are for that matter), I though I would share a particularly neat article I stumbled upon a last year about what has to be one of, if not my very favorite book of all time: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
If you are a bookworm, and or a fan of this novel, it's a good read.

*

And finally, I've been known as being a big 'preorder' fan in the past. It's true, using the preorder option on amazon.com or .co.uk totally floats my boat.
Just knowing that a book is coming out, signing up in advance for a copy and not having to worry about picking it up myself after it has been released or even maybe forgetting when the release date actually occurs, is really rad. Instead, I just preorder, and usually the day of, or the day before even I get billed for the amount due and my item starts making its' journey to me.

Do you all like to preorder your anticipated movie/book/CD releases? Have anything preordered right now?

At the moment I've got these on preorder:

-Volume 2 of American Vampire by Stephen King and Scott Snyder (May/June 2011)
- Volume 11 (or 12, depending on how you count them) of the Sookie Stackhouse series; Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (May 2011)
- The Best American Comic Books 2011, edited by Alison Bechdel, Jessica Abel, and Matt Madden (October 2011)
- Damned by Chuck Palahniuk (September/October 2011)

How about you? Are you a lifelong bookworm like me?

Like (0)