Friday, June 10, 2011

A dose of faith


So I don't know about all of you, dear readers, but for myself at least I could use a little spiritual refresher now and again. And I know that I don't keep up with my song of the week tradition like I always should, but I think starting a Faith Fridays trend here on LIO will be easy enough to remember to maintain week-to-week.

I consider myself to be a very spiritual person, and even though I read my bible a few times a week and try to make it to church as often as I can, being an expat, away from my family and in a country where church is a once a year (if that!) occasion for most, keeping my faith can be challenging!

Thankfully, the blogosphere can be a great place to check and tone up your faith.

So to start off my first Faith Friday, I thought I would share my favorite bible verse. It's engraved on my laptop under my name, and I'm hoping to get the verse citation tattooed at some point in the near future. It also just happens to be a very controversial verse, one that some people don't care for because it doesn't stipulate what groups of people it pertains to. For me, that's a big reason that it's my favorite. I truly do believe that the closest we as people can come to the face of God in our lives is in true, unselfish, unfettered love.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
(King James Version)

Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 
(New Living Translation)

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is begotten of God, and knoweth God. 
(American Standard Version)

1 John 4:7

What's your favorite or "life verse"?

If you all have any suggestions for future installments of Faith Fridays, pass them along!