Friday, June 17, 2011

It is a virtue after all...


Courtesy
So I don't know about you all, but I seem to remember growing up hearing my Mom, teachers, and other relatives repeating that old mantra of,  "patience is a virtue" to me... a whole lot.

So yes. I'm not naturally the most patient of ladies. I think with some things, and situations I can be very zen, calm and infinitely patient. However, as my Husband and Mom especially would tell you, I'm generally pretty amped about getting things done 1-2-3NOW.
It's just how I'm wired, and as a classic first-born child, I have a drive for perfectionism and accomplishment.

Courtesy
But even though I am a bit of a tightly-wound individual by nature, I am aware at how patience is a necessity for all of us. The way of the world simply is that everything you need/want cannot occur perfectly and all at once.
My life right now, and the place I've been for the past odd 18 months, hasn't been the easiest. Following my new Husband in a move from my native U.S. to his home country of Norway, and shacking up at his parent's house was supposed to be really temporary. We originally estimated about six months or so before we were in our own place. Now we're finally house hunting, and optimistic about it. It's a blessing and so exciting that we're finally in this place. But getting here has been a huge test of my patience. I won't speak ill of my in-laws, but suffice it to say, that we have very different standards of just about everything. Cleanliness (yes, I am a bit of a germaphobe. That is true.), family values, and noise volumes, and countless other things. Being patient while feeling so latent, and stuck has been the hardest thing I've encountered in my life up to this point.
I've wanted out, and in my own place with my Husband (and pups!) like a real adult, for a long, long time now.

So for the second installment of Faith Friday I thought I would share some bible verses that I turn to when I'm trying to encourage patience in myself...which is more often than I might like to admit.

Because at the end of the day, we're all in God's hands, and His plan is perfect. Everything happens when it should, and for a reason. Even if we are unable to understand it at the time. There's a great little saying I first saw a couple of years ago: Let Go, and Let God. It's definitely something that I think we could all stand to remember once in a while...I know I need to say it to myself sometimes!

James 1:19-20
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (NIV)
James 5:7-8
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.(NIV)

Colossians 3:12-13
Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. (NLT)

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (NIV)

Proverbs 15:18
A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel. (NIV)

Courtesy
Is patience something that you all struggle with from time to time? Are there any verses or sentiments you use to help you in times of frustration?