Friday, July 1, 2011

The artsy side of faith...


That's right, it's Faith Friday here at LIO, and all day today I've been struggling coming up with a theme for this week. It's not to say I haven't been praying and reading my Bible as usual...and I think for next week's installment I'll have some actual content rounded up for you all.

For this week though, I thought a change of pace would be neat.

Since I was a little girl I've loved art museums. Growing up in Chicago, my Mom would reward good behavior by taking me to a museum of my choice. My top picks were always the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Museum.
(Also, this is another example of how RAD my Mom is. These reward-trips took place before my siblings were born, happening between the ages of 2-4. I do have memories of these trips, and specific exhibits, and know I LOVED every minute of them.)
Probably my favorite category of art is classic religious art. Living on the European continent, where all of this amazing art (and churches/cathedrals) come from, is a huge perk to being an expat. I'm also totally honored to have seen some of these pieces in person.

Do any of you have favorite pieces of art depicting the Lord/Holy family/Biblical characters?

Here are a few of mine:

"The Virgin of the Rocks" by Leonardo Da Vinci
"The Adoration of the Magi" (Triptych) by Heironymous Bosch
"The Holy Family and St. John the Baptist" by Willem van Mieris
"The Incredulity of St. Thomas" by Caravaggio (How amazing is this one?!)
"Adam and Eve" by Louis the Elder Cranach

What about you, dear readers? Are there any pieces of religious-themed art that you particularly enjoy, or that inspire you to prayer? Do you have any reproductions of classic pieces in your home?