Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Saturday in Photos...redux!


Way back when I started this blog, and used to do fun, exciting things around Norway nearly every weekend, I used to have a Saturday in Photos post. Since my weekly explorations have dwindled significantly due to me settling in here, starting work, and even terrible weather, the SIP has sort of dropped off of the map...

But guess what?

Today, the Hubs and the puppies and I went out on a family trip. We drove out about 20-30 minutes (towards where the Hubs goes to work) to check out a family-friendly trail that we hadn't tried yet. 'Family friendly' just means that there is gravel, and the trail is accessible by strollers and small children...a.k.a - just my pace for the outdoors.
Sad but true.

As much as I appreciate the amazing natural beauty around me here in Western-Norway, I'm not an accomplished outdoors woman. So when we find a new, mellow walking path that we can have our dogs off-leash on, and pack a little snack on the journey, I feel blessed and really jazzed!

Today was one of those days. Decent weather, and a great new trail that was totally deserted the whole way! ...except for a pair of startled sheep that Daisy, our Scottie HERDED down the path. Where on earth did she learn to do that?! Sorry there aren't any photos of that action, I was too busy screaming at her to stop and move in the other direction. You know, heat of the moment type scenario.

Anyway, I did manage to snap a few photos just for you all, my darling readers, on our walk today...enjoy and have an amazing weekend!

The trail head, with info about the different paths ahead...

The way that we went, towards a lake called, Holmavatn...

A beautiful pond about halfway down the trail...

Blazing the trail (app. 10 minutes before the sheep incident)

My gorgeous Hubby, the viking, taking a breather while Daisy took a dip in the pond....

Swimmin' dog.

Striking a pose in the wilderness...



I was trying to get a photo of the water lilies on the pond...can you see them?

Check out the little buddy I found. SO TINY! :D

We finally made it to Holmavatn! In the foreground, next to Gatsby is the trailbox. It has a sheet where you can sign-in that you made it all the way to the lake (2.8 kilometers), and this trail is one of app. 10 in our state that has a seasonal code word hidden away in this box. If you hike a certain amount of the different trails, you collect all the different code words from the trail boxes and use them to enter into a raffle to collect certificates and little camping prizes. Neat, huh?

It was SO lovely, and totally silent out there...

Except for the echoes of this creature barking while chasing sticks through the water...

One of the many bird houses along the trail that the boy scouts make and put up. This one said:                        "Velkommen! (welcome) Beware of the Bird."  LOL.

The happy wilderness pups. (I could not get Daisy to hold still and look up at me!)