Monday, April 30, 2012

It's the little things...


So yesterday's sermon at our church service was just what I needed, so I thought I would share a little with you all...because isn't it lovely when it sometimes especially seems like the pastor's message is just for you?

Well it certainly felt that way for me the other day...and after missing services for two Sundays straight (for different reasons), it was even more touching to feel that way!

In a nutshell, the sermon was all about those infamous little things in life...


That's right: I occasionally sneak photos at church...


As many of my darling readers might already be aware, I'm a bit of a worrier.

Everyone at least knows one of those people, right?
People that tend to just get stressed easily...that don't have healthy coping methods of dealing with stress in life...people that let even little worries or concerns just gnaw and gnaw at them until that's all there is to it...

Well those kind of people, I am one.

My Mom claims I've always been "wound a little tight". Whatever that means.
That ever since I was a little girl, when I would get worried or stressed about something I would let it eat away at me until I was just a big ball of worries, and couldn't overcome them for anything...
Example: during a stressful part of the academic year when I was a junior in high school, I gave myself stress-induced stomach ulcers. True story.

So now that I'm experiencing my first pregnancy, and all the preparation /planning that comes with welcoming a new child into a family, there have, understandably I think, been more than a couple of things that have stressed and/or freaked me out already...

That's on top of the usual day stress-inducers, or really even just things that upset me in general, and I also let affect my life/body in negative ways...
Example 2: Just this last weekend, while catching up on some back issues of National Geographic magazine (my favorite!), I ended up crying and crying, and just feeling so angry and hopeless after reading an article on the declining rhinoceros populations, and the disturbing/graphic nature of rhino-horn poaching. Had terrible nightmares that night, and honestly, still pretty upset by it. Also, this really isn't something I can write off as a pregnancy-hormones related reaction...as incidences like this, are also just sort of how I roll.

Anyway, in case my status as a lifer in the category of worriers was unclear up to this point, we're all caught up now, more or less, right? ;)

So the sermon at our church yesterday was really just a reminder of God being the one in control.

Something that I think even the most devout believer needs to be reminded of sometimes!
Because acknowledging and making peace with the fact that there is a greater plan in motion, a perfect plan that was first set in motion at the beginning of time by an even greater Creator...that's not always an easy pill to swallow!

But as I was reminded yesterday:
God is in control. So Let Go, and Let God.

Focusing on taking care of those little things in our lives, and the lives of our family and community is enough.

Our Father in heaven doesn't want us to be consumed by worry, stress or grief. And he definitely doesn't want us to be so consumed that it makes us physically ill! He wants us to have faith. Faith that everything ultimately happens and is carried out by Him. In His perfect time. His perfect ways. Even when we don't understand them.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. -Isaiah 55:8

 Familiar at all?

That saying: "it's about the little things in life" has really taken on a new meaning for me since our church service yesterday...
 Now I'm not saying I won't ever cry again over an upsetting article, or get stressed about this, that or the other...

But remembering that sermon, remembering that phrase I just mentioned, that I love so much but don't take to heart enough...I feel like just maybe I've helped to better arm myself against extreme worry and grief.

And that's never a bad thing, is it? :)

If you can't quite rally behind this little idea that I gleaned from my pastor's sermon the other day, and related here on my little corner of the blogosphere, then there's always chapter 12 of Luke:

22And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
 23The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
 24Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
 25And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
 26If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
 27Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
 28If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
 29And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
 30For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
 31But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

In my Bible, this section of Chapter 12 of Luke is simply entitled: "On Anxiety".

It doesn't get much clearer than that, kids.

So anyway, this week, especially if you're a worrier like me, try to really Let Go, and Let God. Don't burden yourself with more than those little things. Jesus took that burden from us, all of us, on the cross.
And He's got our backs. 24/7, 365. No exceptions.

Have a blessed week!