Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July, Beautiful!


To all my darling readers in my homeland of the U - S - of A :

(credit)


Happy 236th birthday, America!

There is sadly nothing grand in the way of celebration going on in our area of Norway today...and the Hubs and I wanted to have a family barbeque here at the house for the occasion...you know, start a fun tradition for our family!

Unfortunately, with me being as pregnant as I am, us having all kinds of work around the house/yard to do, lots of family being away on summer vacation, and finally the chilly/wet/windy weather...we'll have to postpone the beginning of the tradition until next summer!

So my native U.S.A. is very much in my thoughts today. I sincerely wish I could be amongst family and loved ones, doing traditional 4th of July activities: watching parades and firework displays, having barbeques, and going for a swim!

I sincerely hope all my fellow Americans back home are having an amazing, and safe day today!

And at the risk of sounding corny (and mother-y!): please be careful with fireworks and outdoor fires today, everyone. Large areas of the country are SUPER dry and experiencing tragic levels of destruction because of fires. Make sure your area is green-lighted for any and all burning before you party it up today. Keep everyone safe!

PSA over. ;)

*

Finally, I was given a new blog award by the lovely Cheryl, a fellow American expat (living and loving in the U.K.) over at Birth of a Mum!



Thanks so much, Cheryl! :)


So the rules for this meme/award are as follows...
1. Thank the person who gave it to you and link back to their blog
2. Tell seven facts about yourself
3. Nominate seven people for the award and let them know why...




So here are my random facts: (hopefully I haven't listed them all before!)

1.  When I was a child (maybe 4 or 5 years old?) I was on a local news broadcast and featured in the local papers (in Illinois) for being present at a rally for a newly formed organization...I was fully kitted out with logos all over me and screaming 'NO!' to drug use. That organization? The now very well known: D.A.R.E.

2.  As it is one of my favorite books of all time, I named our two dogs Gatsby and Daisy. :)


3. I have a bachelor's degree of the arts. I studied 18-19th century American Literature, grammar/editing, gender studies and German at a small-ish Lutheran university in the Pacific Northwest in the U.S.


4. My first pet was a cocker spaniel puppy given to me as a Christmas present by my beloved Grandfather. I was three years old, and as a true Disney-raised baby, I named her Lady. (Tragically Lady was only with us in her puppy-dom, as she ended up contracting the parvo virus. :( )


5. My favorite color is green. I'm also very fond of pink.


6. I was born in Chicago, Illinois. Then moved across the top of the state when I was in first grade, to the Quad Cities, where I lived until I was a freshman in high school, when my family moved to the Kitsap peninsula in Western Washington. I also spent lots of my childhood in my family's small hometown base in Western Nebraska.


7. I have seven tattoos, including a floral back-piece that extends from the top half of my bum to the bottoms of my shoulderblades. 




Finally, under the terms of accepting this blog award, here are some lovely, deserving ladies to pass it along to! ( I don't read that many blogs regularly, so there are only a couple!)


Sam at Honest to Blog!
Kristin at Alaskan meets Nebraskan
Kelli over at Mads & Kelli
Jade at Stitch 'n' Ting
Melanie at Melanie Kristy.com