Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Announcing the arrival of our princess...


Well as you darlings might have guessed by my extended absence, our little miracle finally made her appearance...



Aurora Rose

She arrived on the evening of the 18th of August, one full week past my final due date.
3615 grams / 7 lbs 15 oz,  and 51cm / 20 inches long.

I was in labor for 44-hours and it definitely didn't happen the way I had pictured or planned!

But she was worth every second, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat to be holding this angel every day...I'm just a gooey ball of love since she got here. :)
I can't get anything done, ever, because I just sit and stare at this child...

Here's a short and sweet of my birth experience for all those interested/that have asked:

On Thursday late afternoon/evening I started having contractions, and was SUPER uncomfortable. Didn't sleep all Thursday night, and woke the Hubs up to start timing them around 4a.m. By about 9a.m. by contractions were about 5-minutes apart so we went to the birthing center of the hospital to check in...

And they sent us home again, because although I was completely effaced, I was only 1cm dilated.

UFF DA. That was a shocker after hours and hours of increasing pain and a HORRIBLE ride to the hospital unit...

So home we went to let labor progress...and it did, very hard until about midnight Friday night when I figured there was no way I hadn't progressed in dialation, and we should head back to the hospital...so we did.

And I was 5cm.

Which is where I stayed for the next 11 hours, with no progression.

By that time I was literally so exhausted from not sleeping and being in pain for days, that all I could do was cry and shake...

My midwife and I talked about it, and she was convinced that without the help of an epidural, I wouldn't be able to push at all, and would need a cesarean. So we set me up to receive one. Even though I was very against the idea throughout my entire pregnancy...

Anyway, when the anesthesiologist saw my full back tattoo, he promptly told me he couldn't do it after all...

Then the tears and the pleading really started, folks.

After 90 excruciating minutes (where I dilated a whole centimeter, up to 6cm), and conferring between the anesthesiologists and their supervisors (who had never placed an epidural through a full tattoo before), I got set up with the epidural, after acknowledging that I understood there was a very small increased chance for infection/complication because of the metals in the tattoo ink.
I consented immediately, and got the epidural.

Then once I was doped up, I managed to sleep for a little while, and let my muscles relax...it was absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately, epidural-enabled rest or no, I wasn't dilating more than 5-6cm on my own (even after having my water broken),  and hadn't in hours and hours...so my midwife set me up with some synthetic dilating aids on my IV line to get my labor moving...

Well within a couple of hours I was fully dilated and ready to push!

And after an exact hour of doing so, she appeared...

No sleep on Mommy...such a pretty look. LOL.


When her head was descending and nearly crowning her heartbeat became unstable, so the doctors were called and forceps were used to help me to fully deliver her.
We won't go into that much though, suffice it to say; it was excruciating (even with the epidural!), and not without physical damage done to my own body in the process...

But she was, and is perfect in every way.
And to prove it, (and maybe because there was an annual harbor festival happening in town that night) right after Aurora and I both were cleaned and patched up, and cuddling in our hospital bed, fireworks started exploding just outside our window...
She was only 20-odd minutes old, and the city celebrated her arrival in style with a proper fireworks display...

A proper welcome for a little princess...

a pensive little princess...

Unfortunately, during delivery her scalp suffered a few scrapes from the forceps on the way out, and with my GBS positive status (and antibodies in my own IV line), she was exposed to the bacteria...

So instead of being discharged with this perfect gift after the routine 2-3 days recovery time, our little girl had to be put in the NICU unit of the hospital with an IV catheter line, and receive antibiotics and treatment twice daily...

Poor girl with a tube in her head! :(
That face just melts me!

Sleeping beauty.
She handled the treatment perfectly though, and we managed to master nursing during our extended stay at the hospital...we were there for six days past her delivery day, and finally got to come home on Friday afternoon...

Now we're just adjusting to life with our little one home safe...

She's a very happy, alert baby. Gets frustrated and starts angry-crying once in a while, but sleeps like a pro...in 5-6 hour stretches every night! (Let's hope that lasts!)

I'm healing up pretty well too, and just enjoying my time as a brand new mommy. :)

How could you not enjoy waking up to this every morning?



My parents were here for the past few weeks and just flew home to Washington today...
I wish they could have stayed longer, especially since Aurora came a week late, then had to spend a whole extra week in the hospital (with me too!) after that...their trip definitely went by really fast!
There were a few tears when they headed out the other day, and I can't wait until next summer, when all three of us are planning on heading Stateside for some family vacay time! :)

My aunt arrives this coming Sunday, so the Hubs and I will just lay low here at the house between now and then...maybe venture out to the store, and just manage to tidy up the joint a little before she arrives.

Having family come all the way from the States has been so amazing, such a blessing, I wish they could stay forever, and definitely that we weren't so far apart from each other on a regular basis...

Anyway, that's it for now, darling readers. Completing this entry during a few different naps from Miss Aurora hasn't been easy, but I'll pop in again soon...

God bless you all, and stay tuned to LiO!