Friday, April 5, 2013

Drinking healthy...


Since one of my goals for 2013 was not only to lose a bit more of the baby weight, but especially get healthier, I've been trying to practice a few  new good habits around the house lately!

One that I'm super stoked with, that I especially wanted to share with you all, is my recipe for a healthy juice alternative!

I don't know about all of you, but around our house, both the Hubs and I have a problem with sugary drinks like juice and pop...the problem being, if they're around, we'll guzzle them down!
Poor Hubs seems to be even worse than I am on this one! :/

So recently, I started tinkering around with a healthier drink for us to have around...one with little to no sugar.
I wanted something that wasn't only much healthier than a glass of pop, but much cheaper too! Keeping pop or sugary juices stocked up in the house gets expensive fast, and produces a lot of packaging-waste too!

So here's what I came up with:

I have a plastic juice pitcher that has a capacity of almost 2-liters. It fits perfect in our fridge door, so that's what I use...

I brew up about 7-dl of green tea in a glass/metal mixing cup.
Just regular, organic green tea bags. Flavored green tea bags work great too, and to brew this amount, I use two regular size tea bags.

Follow this link for an article on the health benefits of green tea, which is great freshly brewed, hot and on its own too! And remember to compost your used tea bags after they've brewed! :)

 After the tea has steeped to a good, strong strength in the measuring cup, I dump it into the large pitcher and set it under the tap to fill/mix with cold water...

Finally, while the tea and tap water are mixing and filling up the large pitcher I use just a little splash of a no-sugar, liquid juice syrup mix.

(credit) - This link also takes you to one of the national Norwegian newpapers where there is a review of which juice mixes were the healthiest, and best tasting!

I'm actually not sure whether these juice mixes are readily available in the States, but around Europe there are literally dozens and dozens of different flavors to choose from!
Using any kind of low/no sugar fruit juice would work just fine too I'm sure...so let me know if you try this out in your home, and what kind of juice or juice mix you used!

So with this splash of juice or juice mix topping off the tea/water mixture, I give it a good stir and pop it in the fridge to cool it down.

This is a great way to get yourself to drink more water during the day, while getting a great antioxidant boost from the green tea...
And after you find the juice flavor you like best, and figure out how much juice you want to add into the mix to suit your tastes, you also get enough of a  sweet kick to help you ditch your unhealthy pop/sugary drink habit!

The Hubs likes a little more juice mix (so its sweeter!) added than I do, so he will add an extra splash into his own drinking glass sometimes...its very easy in this way to get just the right taste you're looking for!

If you want to get really fancy and fun with this, toss some fresh berries or diced up fruit into your pitcher/drinking glass!

(credit)

You don't have to stop with just a standard lemon slice either if you add this step!

Peel the skin off and slice up some kiwis, or cucumbers...toss in a handful of blueberries and mangoes, use fresh mint leaves or lavender sprigs...get creative and find a combination that you love!

I've heard this kind of drink referred to as fairy water in the past, and how cute is that? ;)

So there you have it, a healthy, pretty, yummy alternative to drinking high-sugar pop and juices every day!

Have you tried making fairy water before?
How do you make it?


Weigh in in the comments section below!