Monday, May 13, 2013

A fowl confession...


I stopped eating meat when I was 13-years old.

After a few years of no meat at all, I reluctantly integrated some seafood into my diet for health reasons.

Then in college, I went vegan, and stayed that way for a few years.

Moving to Norway had me reverting to vegetarianism again, with some seafood included for nutrition.

Despite most people in my life doubting my ability to keep a meat-free diet during my pregnancy, I barely even ate seafood whilst pregnant, and had no desire to eat any meat at all during my pregnancy or post-partum...

Until now.

I can't explain why, as I'm not sure myself, but in the past odd month I've started eating poultry.

One evening while making dinner for the Hubs (who loves his meat!), it was just like a switch flipped and I decided to cook up a chicken filet for myself as well.

Needless to say, the Hubs was shocked...nearly as much as I was!

The first couple of bites were weird, and a bit off-putting. It had been 15-years since my last bite of chicken after all!

But I did finish it. And since then, I've willingly had chicken and turkey multiple times.

Dinner the other night: chicken, sweet potato, veggie and rice...gravy not pictured. ;)

Again, I have no idea what happened, or why I've started again.
It feels right though, now I"m used to the taste and texture again, and frankly enjoying integrating poultry into meals for all three of us...it's quite nice to not have to separate out a portion for myself before the meat gets cooked into our food!

So I don't know what this means for my life as a big picture, only that just now, I'm content eating poultry for the moment.

I know that if there were more and cheaper resources here in Norway, I would prefer to be vegan again...but since that's just not the case, I'm rolling with the punches, and feeling just fine with it.

I don't even necessarily think that eating poultry will lead to me eating more and other meats. In fact, I'm positive it won't.

I know for a fact that I'll never eat pork. We won't get into my reasons for that though.

And as far as any other meats are concerned, I guess we'll just have to see where life takes me.

So there it is: my fowl confession.

Have a wonderful Monday, darling readers, and stay tuned!