Monday, January 12, 2015

a new start...


Let's forget any previous promises or resolutions to begin to blog more once again, and use this new year as a chance for a new start, shall we?

Since it's been so long, and my life has evolved and changed so much since I first started this blog, I figured to begin this new year with a little facelift around here, and a proper introduction.

Here goes...

My name is Kirstin. I'm 29 years old.


 I was born in the United States, in Illinois, have family roots in Nebraska and have also lived outside of Seattle, Washington.

I have been married for nearly six years to this guy:


He's pretty awesome.

He's also Norwegian, which is how I came to be an expat, living on the west coast of Norway.

We moved here five years ago, and my journey to feel at home in my adopted country has been the single most challenging and most amazing thing I have ever done in my life.

I have two children:


Aurora Rose was born in 2012 and Luna Snow was born just six months ago, in 2014.

In 2011 I felt called by the Lord to seek out a career field I had never considered before. I now work for social services here in Norway as a child welfare advocate...which in more basic terms means that I am a foster mother. Our family hosts children of all ages during emergency relocation scenarios.
It is an incredibly difficult, demanding job, and I am on call 24/7. I look at it as being a professional mom. And couldn't be happier and more at peace with what I do.

Though I grew up in a religious household, like many people I went astray in my teenage years and early 20's. After the stress of our international move and the difficulties I encountered transitioning to life in a different country, I found myself turning back to my faith and now consider myself to be born again in a way I never had before.
Jesus is the center of my life and by his grace I am redeemed!

I am and have always been a lover of books. I read whenever I have free time and we have our own personal library in our home, consisting of hundreds of well-loved volumes.

I dig sci-fi and fantasy books and movies.
I love coffee and tea.

And as you can see from my new blog banner at the top of the webpage, I am not above putting fake mustaches on my baby and staging a family photo.
So just as the banner warns, expect expat-life struggles. Expect me to talk about Jesus. Expect gratuitous parent posts. Expect books. And above all expect me to be my real, unabashedly geeky, silly self.

I'm so glad you've decided to stop into my little corner of the web and stay a while. With this new look and introduction I look forward to blogging updates and what's on my heart more and more often.

I hope and pray that your new year will be a blessed one. Thank you so much for reading, and stay tuned to Lost in Oversettelse in 2015!