Sunday, April 10, 2016

april reads...only ten days late.


So I though it would be fun to start doing post of the books I'm planning to read each month...

and I'm only ten days late, y'all! :D

Without further ado, my nightstand:



Ok. So the little pile on the left of the night stand are the books I'm planning on finishing up by the end of the month, the lonely twosome (including a file on my Kindle) on the right are what I've already read in April.
My tbr pile consists of:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling as 'Newt Scamander'
Drown by Junot Diaz
The Vorrh by B. Catling
Fables Vol. 12 : The Dark Ages by Bill Willingham

I'm stoked to finally read the Fantastic Beasts, as it's something I've always been meaning to pick up, but had never gotten around to, and now that the film is set to release later this fall (SO STOKED), I figure it's perfect timing...this and most of the other books pictured were all part of the big haul I schlepped home from my visit to the States last Christmas...all of which, if you recall, are promising and exciting. :)

I read The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao a number of years ago and really enjoyed it, so when I saw Diaz's latest endeavor while perusing B&N last December, I pounced without much thought. Drown is a collection of short stories, I think...

The Vorrh is a fairly chunky fantasy novel that caught my eye. The cover, title and description are super intriguing, and I've been looking forward to this read.

I own most of the Fables graphic novels, but haven't actually read the second half of the series yet...so I've got to get this twelfth volume under my belt this month. Maybe reading at least two volumes a month would be a good goal to make, in order to be able to finally finish the series.
What say you?


We've had a super busy beginning to the month around these parts. I won't go into the sordid details, but we're talking tons of stress and a slammed calendar.
I'm hoping the rest of the month will be a bit more mellow and normal, and I'll be able to get more reading time in, as these past ten days I've literally only sat down to read all of three times.
It's been HELL, I tell you.
I generally thrive on busy days...but not if they're so crazy that I am not able to read at some point. Then mama is bound to get irritable and a little out of sorts. Just so you know.

Anyway, the other day I sat down and devoured a preorder release that is a supplementary text to the Bone Season series by Samantha Shannon.

Can I just quickly say, for the record, The Bone Season series is amazing. I literally teared up and moped around the house for a few days when I found out that the third novel in the ongoing series had its' release date pushed back from November to next March. Oh the humanity.
Anyway, this awesome little ditty costs a whopping single US dollar and is exclusively offered as an e-reader file. Hence my Kindle propped up all silly like in the above photo.
I read the whole 40-odd pages with a dumb grin on my face. If you're into the series like I am, clicking On the Merits of Unnaturalness into your online shopping cart is a no-brainer...and might help tide you over until the third installment is released...so hang in there!

I also managed to finish The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. This was my first read by Fforde (though I've had Shades of Grey on my wishlist for ages), and I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a book for people who fancy themselves authentic bookworms...like myself. It combined an awesome, dystopic world with elements of the supernatural and steampunk - feel with classic lit references and knowledge. Like nothing I've read before. I wasn't completely infatuated with the protagonist, but the story she finds herself in, and the circumstances in the universe more than made up for that and kept me turning the page. Again, if you're interested and fairly well-read in the field of classic literature (more specifically English lit), this book will definitely make you smile.

So. That's where I'm at, dear readers...lets hope I can clear my tbr pile this month and who knows, maybe even add a tome or two if I'm lucky.

As always, I'd love to hear what you're reading this month, so share in the comments section below or on the official FB page!

(Technical note: I've now linked up my Goodreads account with the blog, so my individual book reviews will automatically post here as I finish them...I hope you all enjoy and stay tuned!)