Saturday, July 30, 2016

Review: This Savage Song

This Savage Song This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I inadvertently ended up sitting down and reading this book in one setting.
Late hour be damned, I just didn't want to put it down.
The book has a great pace and a narrative that manages a great unexplained, slow reveal; one that makes the reader work a bit to unravel the nuances/rules of the created world, without being exasperating or convoluted. I appreciated the lack of romance between the two principle characters, and the ability of the author to create viable character arcs without the need for that cheesy, over-played paranormal romance aspect which unfortunately seems to be standard within the genre. A large chunk of the book is action-packed, and very exciting to read, offering up well-executed twists and turns for both the principle and their supporting characters.
The conclusion of the book being especially interesting and poignant; without divulging too severe of a spoiler, Schwab manages to both split her action-packed previously intertwined principal narrative (again, joyously without the need for a romantic element), and give her reader a shocking final page spread.
This appears to be the beginning of a series, one I will definitely continue to make my way through.

View all my reviews